cinematic exploration of barnes hospital U.K
The Convalescent Home was constructed by Manchester Royal Infirmary on the rural outskirts of Manchester. The rural location was selected as a recuperating atmosphere away from the industrial smog of Manchester – a rural area which now belies its location, surrounding by major roads on all sides. A donation of £26,000 for the founding of a new convalescent hospital in Cheadle was made in 1869 by Robert Barnes. Construction of the hospital, named the Barnes Convalescent Home, started in 1871 and was completed in 1875. It was constructed of bricks, the clay for which was provided locally.
Broken remains of three stone high crosses were discovered in 1874 during the construction of the hospital. The location of only one of these is known today; this consists of a crosshead of Celtic cross form with a central boss, and dates from the late 10th or 11th century. It is now located in St Mary’s Church, Cheadle. The other two pieces are said to be part of a much older cross, and the upper part of an Anglo-Saxon cross shaft.
The hospital operated through the war caring for injured soldiers and taking in traumas. On the same site of Barnes Hospital there was also a fever hospital where patients with tuberculosis and yellow fever were treated in isolation wards. The main use for the hospital in its later life was for geriatric care and stroke patients. It was estimated the hospital treated tens of thousands of patients over its 115 years as convalescent home
It closed in September 1999 while Manchester Healthcare Trust was undergoing a £2 million cost cut. In the same year, the hospital received Grade II listed status.
The hospital was sold in 2001, and was for a number of years owned by Realty Estates who allowed the listed building to fall into a state of dereliction. It was later sold to the Irish property development group Benmore for a sum estimated around £12 million. The company proposed a new 128 residential unit development around the hospital building but it was never proposed to the planning authority.
It has recently changed hands again and is understood to be owned by four local businessmen, who intend to restore Barnes Hospital to its former condition and provide residential apartments within the building. Restoration works are expected to commence some time in 2013 after liaisons with the local council.
During World War II the hospital was used as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers. Following its closure the hospital temporarily housed a large group of refugees from Kosovo. It was featured on Most Haunted Live in September 2005. The site was briefly occupied by around 100 gypsy families in February 2007
Please watch: “Magnet fishing found a land rover toy”